1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Upgrading to Windows XP

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Arie, 2003/12/19.

?

Why haven't you upgraded to Windows XP?

1. My current OS performs fine for me

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  2. My current hardware doesn't support XP

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Costs

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Windows XP Activation

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Other

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/12/30
    KevinSaul

KevinSaul Inactive

irdreed

Hadn't seen that, thanks!

Looks like I'll go with Home since I really don't need any of the extra features in Pro

2. 2003/12/31
    PLansdowne

PLansdowne Inactive

Well I'm finally up and running with Win XP! I had a P166 running Win95 for seven years. She was good to me - or I was good to her. I rarely had any crashes, never had to format and I always thought "well if it ain't broke, don't fix it ".

I had real concerns making the switch - the biggest being program compatibility. I run my business using outdated software and was reluctant to make the move. Well I'm here to say YIPPEE!!

I've installed Pagemaker 6, Illustrator 8, Corel Wordperfect Suite 7, Office 97, Simply Accounting etc and everything is working as it should. I transfered all my Outlook Express identities and mail, my favorites etc all without a hitch. Besides having to find new drivers for my modem and printer, and a few registry tweaks for Office the move was relatively pain free. Everything is as it was only now it's a P4 2.66G running Win XP (it makes me want to make that Tim Allen noise - whoa ho ho!)

For those of you sitting on the fence - jump! I'm a new XP user that's happy to have made the leap.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/01/01
    Breakout

Breakout Inactive

For me it's the activation. I wouldn't mind shelling out $150. But, not for every computer. And I don't want the hassles of explaining myself everytime I install it.

For example, I just bought a newer (2100XP) computer, but I want to keep my older (700mhz) computer up and running.

So, I'm just going to install 98SE on the new computer, too.

Personally, I don't feel I'm cheating anyone by installing on two computers.

I think microsoft should allow 2 or 3 computers for each personal license of XP.

I know eventually I'll have to give in, but, so far, I've been able to run all the latest programs with 98SE.

The only wall I ran into was the new napster site. It requires XP to download MP3's.

This is what happens when you have a monopoly. It's their way, or the highway.

5. 2004/01/01
    oldcat

oldcat Inactive

You're probably going to get arguments about multiple computers on a single operating system license. However, I'm very angry about having to agree to those terms with before being able to install/run individual applications. I have more than one computer in the house. They're each one bought or built and all paid for. So I'm supposed to buy 4 copies of some game just to be able to have friends over for LAN play? That's ridiculous. There's only one of me. Just wait until Microslop figures out it's in the publishing business. Then you'll have to buy a book for each room in the house... not to mention how many bathroom books you'd have to have for each male.

Of course this is begging the question of whether Windows is an operating system or a particularly crumby database manager. But that's a subject for another flamefest.

Last edited: 2004/01/01
  6. 2004/01/04
    Breakout

Breakout Inactive

Right, that's like buying a music cd and being forced to agree to play it on only 1 particular cd player. If you want to play it in your car, you'll need to buy another copy!

Actually, I'm seriously thinking about just installing 98SE on the new computer and wiping the harddrive on the older PC, and installing Slackware .

It's only $39.95 and no activation hassles. Then by the time I'm forced to go with XP, I'll be comfortable with Linux.

7. 2004/01/06
    carlywarly

carlywarly Inactive

For me, my OS runs fine. I have 98se for a single app that won't print under Wine, and everything else in my house gets done with Mandrake Linux 9.2

8. 2004/01/07
    senor stackdump

senor stackdump Inactive

Just want to post my thanks to all you wonderfull people out there that have taken the time to post replies like
    try try booting or defrag your hard drive and empty your recyelining bin the only one I sis not get so far was rtfm so
    thanks all for all your help.
    I wonder where I can post to macro slob to thank those guys for there wonderfull system and ask them what they do with all the information they recive on my box every time IE gose negriod
    and has to phone home and dump the page I was tryimg to post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.