1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Some icons not showing in system tray

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mickey918, 2009/03/16.

1. 2009/03/19
    mickey918

mickey918 Inactive Thread Starter

Pete C. This is the craziest thing. I don't think it's the Registry Checker OR CCleaner. After restoring the files, whenever I reboot, irregardless of running Registry Checker or CCleaner, the icons are there. However, if I shut the computer completely down and the restart it, the icons are NOT there, no matter what I've been doing. Something must be happening at a complete shutdown and then cold start that is doing it. Any ideas about that?
    Thanks again for all the help.

mickey918

2. 2009/03/21
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Very puzzling - there are differences between a warm boot and a cold boot, but I have not come across that problem before. I have been unable to find any info on this, but have asked the other Team members for ideas.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/03/21
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

From a cold start the BIOS will identify hardware and allocate resources, that may be the difference. Maybe, whatever is loaded at startup cannot be run with the registry settings (the "modified" registry).

I haven't read the whole thread. If it hasn't been suggested, try disabling startup programs in msconfig one at a time. If you can identify a program that is causing the problem, uninstall and reinstall it.

Matt
    PS Has a System Restore been suggested?

5. 2009/03/22
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

FYI - from Arie ....

6. 2009/03/25
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

Could the problem code be associated with a driver?

If as mattman describes, the difference between warm and cold boots is that hardware resources are reallocated resources on a cold boot, that process will involve drivers. If the software problem is within/triggered by/associated with driver code, that may explain the boot/reboot behaviour.

7. 2009/03/25
    mickey918

mickey918 Inactive Thread Starter

Guys:
    I just fixed the problem. I got a small free program called Quick StartUp and it shows everything that gets loaded at startup and allows you to turn them off or on and change their properties. I saw the entry for SysTray.exe, and it was showing the proper location in the registry, but the location was blank. So I looked it up and it is located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\systray.exe. When I put that in the location box, everything started working again. I wonder how that got changed?

Anyway, I appreciate all the help and thank everyone a lot.

mickey918

8. 2009/03/25
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Great news - put it down to the 'Wonder of Windows' :eek:

9. 2009/03/26
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

The Quick Startup Software that mickey918 referred to is certainly a keeper. I like it even better than my old standby, Startup Cop, which I got many years ago before they pulled it from freeware status.

I especially like the way Quick Startup provides a link for each startup item so I can verify whether it's friend or foe and whether it's necessary or optional. It's a great little helper!