1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Solved Experiencing problems after virus

Discussion in 'Malware and Virus Removal Archive' started by Supermaine, 2011/04/27.

1. 2011/04/30
    Supermaine

Supermaine Inactive Thread Starter

Nope. It works (just like last time) and the icons are back to normal. This happened last time, remember? And then you told me to enable all of them back, and I did, but I didn't restart until today so this was my first experience with it lagging. Apparently enabling them causes it to lag, but im not sure what exactly is causing the problem.

2. 2011/04/30
    broni

broni Moderator Malware Analyst

What you need now is a lot of coffee and patience.

Go back to "msconfig" re-enable ONE service from those, you just disabled.
    Restart computer.
    Good?
    If so, re-enable next service.
    Restart....and so on, until you'll find the culprit.
    When done with services, go on with startups.

Only you can perform this investigation.
    Do NOT re-enable more, than one item at a time.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/04/30
    Supermaine

do i hit "hide all microsoft services" first?

5. 2011/04/30
    broni

You may.

6. 2011/04/30
    Supermaine

Just to be sure, to re-enable the service all I do is put a checkmark next to it, correct? Because it still reads "stop" next to the ones I'm checking so I'm not sure if I'm doing this the right way or not.

7. 2011/04/30
    broni

Yes..

8. 2011/05/01
    Supermaine

I went through all the programs under startup and checked them, it booted just fine. I went to the services tab, chose "Hide all microsoft services ", and checked each one of them. And again, booted up fine after checking each one. So do I need to uncheck "hide all microsoft services" and start testing each one of those?

9. 2011/05/01
    broni

I'm not sure, if I understand.
    You have all services and startups checked back as it was when the problem started and the computer is working fine?

10. 2011/05/01
    Supermaine

I'm going to try to explain this the best I can so bare with me.

A few days ago, you told me to disable all startups using MSCONFIG. You also told me to go under services, hit "hide all microsoft services" and then hit "disable all" as well, because my computer wouldn't boot into normal mode.

After disabling all startups/services, the computer booted up fine and stopped lagging.

Thinking the problem was solved, you then instructed me to go ahead and enable all of the services/startups back. (By hitting enable all)I did so.

Instead of hitting "restart now" and letting the changes take place, I chose to exit without restarting and thought the solution was fixed and I thanked you,a dn the thread was marked as resolved.

Yesterday, (a couple days later) was my first time trying to get back on the computer since I had last posted the thank you message.

The computer booted up in normal mode, but was hanging on the Welcome Screen, and lagging so bad I couldn't open any programs or even access the internet. Also, my programs didn't have their usual icons. (reminder: All of this happened after hitting "enable all" under msconfig)

I came back to the thread to tell you it wasn't working once again. And after running MBAM test, you told me just go ahead and disable all start ups, go under services, choose "hide all microsoft services" and hit disable all once again. (Which is the same thing you told me to do a few days ago)

After doing this again, it worked, just like it did a few days ago.

So choosing to disable all of the services/startups, and the computer boots fine in normal mode. Choosing to ENABLE all, and the computer lags. Which must mean there is a startup/or service conflicting with the computer.

So one by one I began to check the items under the Startup tab, and restart the computer. After going through each one, the system still has booted fine.

Then I moved on to the service tab. If you go to the service tab originally, there are literally 50 or so items you can choose from. But you told me to always hit "Hide all microsoft services ". When I do that, there's only about 5. So I went through all 5 of those doing the check each one and restart method, and the computer still boots fine.

So, instead of choosing to "hide all microsoft services" (And shrink the list down to 5) Do I need to go through each one of the 50 or so Microsoft services? And try to check/uncheck those, or what? Because hitting enable all and the system doesn't run. Hitting disable all, and checking them the way I've been doing now, and it's running fine.

Sorry for the long post just trying to make sure we're on the same page.

11. 2011/05/01
    broni

Well, if after re-enabling everything, the computer is working fine, then we have nothing else to do.
    Let's hope, it stays that way :)

12. 2011/05/01
    Supermaine

So I guess the computer is fine when I manually check everything, but telling it to "Enable all" itself, and it doesn't work? haha. Well, what about the quick start up program, can I go back and try enabling all of those back as well?

13. 2011/05/01
    broni

Leave all those disabled items alone.
    You don't need them to be startups.

14. 2011/05/02
    Supermaine

Alright! Thanks a lot for the hours and hours of help. If it starts giving me trouble again, I know where to come. I appreciate all your help.

15. 2011/05/02
    broni

You're very welcome :)