1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Getting Rid of Windows Messenger on Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by serenity, 2004/05/06.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/05/06
    serenity

serenity Inactive Thread Starter

My new computer runs with Windows XP. I have two types of messengers: Windows messenger and MSN messenger.
    I use MSN messenger daily. I do not use Windows messenger.
    While visiting a different forum, as I'm reading through a response, I suddenly get a Windows messenger login window, even though I'm already signed in with MSN messenger. This is really irritating. I share my computer with my sister, so I do not want to enter in a username/password and tell it to remember.
    I have tried looking for it in my control panel, as well as my start menu, but can not find it to remove it.
    I saw it today within my Outlook Express but there are no options to get rid of it or permanently stop it from popping up.

Any ideas on how to get rid of Windows Messenger?

Thanks!

2. 2004/05/06
    serenity

I searched through some old posts...
    Noahdfear's response to someone with a similar problem was:
    "Go to control panel>user accounts>yourusername>manage network passwords from the left pane. If passport.net is listed, highlight and remove. "

I did that. There is now nothing in that window. But windows messenger still asks me to login. :confused:

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/05/06
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

5. 2004/05/06
    serenity

Arie,

I tried your link. It uninstalled something, prompted me to restart, and then I got this msg:

Advanced INF Install
    Error unregistering the OCX 16422

When I restarted, I went back to the forum where I'm having this problem, and the Windows messenger popped up again.

6. 2004/05/06
    Arie

7. 2004/05/06
    serenity

Weird! I was able to get all the way down to step 6, but I am not able to remove the checkmark from Windows Messenger.
    I have two of them... one is the little green guy, and the second is a shaded diamond (or square on an angle).
    There is no checkmark beside the green guy, but when I click on the second one, it doesn't remove the checkmark.

8. 2004/05/06
    serenity

It's no longer on my Windows Components, and it's not in my Start menu, and there's no icon in my system tray, but it STILL comes up when I'm on certain pages.
    How is a person supposed to get rid of something they can't find? :(

9. 2004/05/07
    emilyjane

emilyjane Inactive

You can download a program to disable or uninstall Windows Messenger. I don't know the web address; but if you put "messengerdisable" in your search engine it will come up. It's a free download and very good. Got rid of mine easy as. There is also another one called "shoot the Messenger ". But I found Messengerdisable the better of the two. :)

10. 2004/05/07
    Arie

You have Service Pack 1 installed? If so, the error is normal, and doest not affect the removal process.

Arie,
  11. 2004/05/07
    Arie

Are you sure it's Windows Messenger???

Or does it look like this:

12. 2004/05/07
    serenity

Arie,

It's windows messenger, not the screenshot you posted. It used to come up in the system tray and looked identical to the msn messenger green guy. It no longer comes up on the system tray but if I go to that particular site, there it is, asking me to login with my .net passport.

I don't know if I have sp1, as this is a new computer and Windows was already installed. How do I check?

Emilyjane,

I'll run a search now for that program and let you know if it works. Thanks!

13. 2004/05/07
    Arie

Open the Control Panel, and from the top menu choose Help > About Windows.

14. 2004/05/07
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

You probably won't find Messenger service with a search. Go to start>run and type services.msc, hit enter. In the list, locate Messenger, right click and stop the service, then right click and properties. Set to disabled.

15. 2004/05/07
    serenity

Version 5.1 SP1 :)

I took Emilyjane's advice and downloaded that program. It says it's uninstalled and got that error again...

Again, I go to that page and this is the window I get:

I hope this works...

here's the window I'm trying to get rid of

Last edited: 2004/05/07
  16. 2004/05/07
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Looks like it might be the same one I've tried most everything to help RickyD2 get rid of. Do you have a link to the site where this is popping up?

17. 2004/05/07
    Arie

Yes. You will have to sign in with a .NET account there. Otherwise they won't let you in. Has nothing to do with the fact that you have or haven't got Messenger installed.

18. 2004/05/07
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

The only thing I can find relative to .net passport and the site she's getting the popup (a forum) is through the site's bulletin board software. Ideal Science. Thinking now that maybe the connection is with the NET framework updates that so many people installed from Windows Update, which also creates another user account...ASPNET.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Serenity, go to Windows update and click view installation history to verify whether or not you installed the NET Framework updates, please. You could also check the control panel>user accounts for one named ASPNET.

19. 2004/05/07
    serenity

But if I cancel myself out of that window, I am still able to view the page. That doesn't make sense. :confused:

20. 2004/05/07
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Just saw your post Arie. You saying .net passport is required to sign in to that forum? I could understand that, but if the popups are coming even when she is already logged in?? Or just visiting the page?? :confused:

21. 2004/05/07
    serenity

I'm new to WinXP. Can you tell me how to find Windows Update?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.