1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Upgrading to Windows XP

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Arie, 2003/12/19.

?

Why haven't you upgraded to Windows XP?

1. My current OS performs fine for me

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  2. My current hardware doesn't support XP

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Costs

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Windows XP Activation

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Other

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/12/19
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff Thread Starter

If you are using an older Operating System, what is the reason that you haven't upgraded to Windows XP?

Arie,
  2. 2003/12/19
    PLansdowne

PLansdowne Inactive

I'm FINALLY making the move! I'm in the process of transferring all my software and hoping everything will work. You'll probably see me posting desperate requests for help in the XP forum sometime soon!!

:)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/12/19
    brett

brett Inactive Alumni

Inherent parsimony.

5. 2003/12/19
    merlin

merlin Inactive

Not enough shekels - as Brett aptly puts - the OS is way out of range for anyone not a real-estate agent - and lots of incompatibilities with the 100's of 98SE apps that I need and use daily.
    Waiting for Longhorn - hopefully cheaper and friendlier on
    the legacy aspects.

6. 2003/12/19
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

The poll only permits one answer, so I made it the most pertinent.
    But some other comments.
    While I can afford a new system, the old Win98 still works pretty well, with lots of fine tuning and little tweaks. I probably would not be able to remember where I got them, if they would even run on WinXP.
    Another important point is the learning curve for the new system--much of which seems entirely unnecessary. Sure, XP does more, but MS could have saved the new procedures for the new features. That would allow concentration on them rather than having to relearn how to do everyday tasks. (You can tell how how old I am. :D)
    As they say on the Isle of Man, if it works don't fix it.

Last edited: 2003/12/19
  7. 2003/12/19
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Since I find myself in here while answering another post I will also tack on a response.

It started out being a money issue. Got that squared away and then it became a hardware issue, but it wasn't a matter of hardware not supporting XP but more like XP not supporting hardware. I had an STB desktop video card for TV (drivers not supported by XP). I wasn't willing to give up my TV.

I bought another computer HP OEM (yah, I know) with XP operating system. I couldn't stand waiting anymore. I had to play around on the thing. I love it, by the way and havn't regretted a second.

Eventually, I got second harddrive for older computer (STB TVcard carrier) and installed "dualboot XP/win98se ". This works for me and I am a happy camper.

========
    After having XP, if I had to make a choice between the TV card or the OS. XP would win hands down. :D

8. 2003/12/19
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

*Eventually, I got second harddrive for older computer (STB TVcard carrier) and installed "dualboot XP/win98se ".*

This IMO is the best solution, provided that the hardware cooperates. It solves a number of issues - costs less and enables a leisurely learning curve while still being able to work.

The other benefit is insurance, something goes wrong with one OS, still the other, and cross-checking - two AV's for example to do reciprical scans.

Regards - Charles

Last edited: 2003/12/19
  9. 2003/12/19
    GaryG

GaryG Inactive

If dreams came true and I could just do a start-to-finish upgrade from Me to XP without having to spend time thinking about apps that would no longer be supported or searching for XP drivers for my 2-year old system, I'd upgrade.

I recovered from an Me meltdown a few months ago and after reinstalling it, I'm living with frequent BSODs. So I'd like a more stable system, but the discomfort level is too high.

Of course, the money is a big concern too. When I spend big bucks on an O/S, I'd like to have a fair chance of getting on with life after installing it.

I'd really like to spend what little spare time there is doing something productive instead of twiddling for days to iron the bugs after an upgrade. Weren't computers supposed to make life easier? Whatever happened to that dream?

Maybe when Longhorn... or Linux... I wish... (sigh)

10. 2003/12/20
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

GaryG

Hang on to your hats folk. you are about to see a seldom seen side of me. :)

In your case I suggest you go for XP PRO ( not Home )with a Format and clean install. For you I tnink it would be money well spent.

Yes it is different but if you do not try to fight it to begin with it is MUCH better than ME.

I would not worry too much about hardware support. The only one item that MIGHT give you problems is an Internal Modem. And even if it did it would be a MODEM problem not Windows.

Even with a few problems you would still be far better off.

Or. If you happen to have a Win98 SE CD go back to it.

Either way you will be much better off.

You worry about hardware and software support. Well from where I sit they do not appear to very good right now. How could it get any worse.

XP supports a lot more ( by defalut ) than even I thought it would.

but the discomfort level is too high.

Can't be any worse than it is now.

BillyBob

11. 2003/12/20
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

GaryG

And if you do go for XP and have a few problems.

COME BACK here to the XP forum and you will find all kinds of help.

BB

12. 2003/12/20
    TacoBelle

TacoBelle Inactive

Why haven't you upgraded to Windows XP?

I tried to upgrade when I got my new computer recently. My older software didn't work with it and I can't afford to have to buy all new software, just because I had to get a new computer. So I had them reinstall Windows 98. It works fine for me, where XP didn't. I don't appreciate planned obsolescence. Not everyone is rich!

13. 2003/12/20
    irdreed

irdreed Inactive

Obsolescence...what a word!!! :eek: I learned all about that Ignominious Expression, working on the big Machines for about 30 some years. Updates after Updates, and so on. I used to have to go back to school almost every two years or so, in order to be certified on so many new Add-ons/Updates for the Monster. Then, besides being able to repair it all,you had to learn program languages (Encoding), & of course it was stated this would help in your ability of troubleshooting these Systems. (and there were many systems attached to this baby!!) Everything from Monitors, to Keyboards, TV Systems, Continuous Data Recorders, Tape Recorders, High Speed Teletype Machines,etc.
    But we were classed as the so-called Eperts in the field. (My definition of an expert: ex is latin for "unknown "; Spert is what a fountain drips; Thus Expert is rendered to "Unknown Drip!!):D
    That field was the F.A.A. Radar/ Arts Tech.;)

Now after retirement, I see that Commercially, we have the same thing!! WOW!! Nothings changed!! :D

Well, I like what I got, it works great, and I know I can fix it if it's broke , or at least come to this Forum for some good advice from some really knowledgeable people. I also know some of my Programs and equipment are not compatable with XP, rather than fight, I'll stay with Win98SE for a few more years. I know I still need to learn a lot on what I currently have, and that's enough of a challange now for this old Geezer!!:cool:

I am somewhat versed on Win XP, because I work with it at a local school where I do Volunteer work, and also my Son has his 7 PC's networked at his home with Win XP Pro, and he keeps me posted.

Last edited: 2003/12/20
  14. 2003/12/20
    senor stackdump

senor stackdump Inactive

I am waiting for the last quarter of 2004 to get the 64bit opsys.
    trying to squeek by till then
    I am not jelous of bill and to lame for linex boy was that a lot of
    fun yummy raw eggs oh well

real un happy with this 98 bug box of mine if I did not have so much stuff in it i "d get a g4 or better yet a g5

bye

15. 2003/12/20
    GaryG

GaryG Inactive

BB,
    Thanks for the input. I was planning on going to a Business Edition or Pro version rather than a Home version, so your suggestion on Pro is well taken.

My palms are a little sweaty thinking about formatting my hard drive and doing a clean XP install. Never have liked taking a step into the unknown realizing I can never go back. I'd need to be well informed about the steps required before I make that move.

I bought my system with Me installed, and it came with a couple of Me restore CDs. Do I understand correctly that once I have the XP Pro upgrade version in my hands I just format the hard drive and run Setup from the XP CD? I assume that the process will ask me for my Me CD to confirm that I really can use the upgrade.

Doesn't the XP upgrade expect to find pieces of Me laying around to use as a foundation? Or would it ask me to mount the Me CD so it could get anything basic that would be "legacy" from the Me system? Is Setup really smart enough to put all the needed pieces together so I'll have an operational XP system, with no questionable components brought in from the Me CD?

When I take this course, would it be wise to partition my hard drive so I can keep XP o/s components, data, and applications separated? --Gary

16. 2003/12/21
    samson

samson Inactive

Gee, after several years with 98SE, I'm finally able to surf safely & maintain the system without all those confusing patches. And now I'm to start all over?

Patches that I can't reproduce when I need to reinstall?

New hardware, new apps, new learning curve. And what do I get for it? More security holes.

No, there's nothing there that I want. Maybe when SE won't work any more Linux will be ready for prime time.

17. 2003/12/23
    RayH

RayH Inactive

Until a few months ago, I was running a K6-2 450 MHz system with Windows 98SE and it worked quite well. But it finally blew up and I didn't feel like messing around to find out why.

I had been building P-4s for everyone in my family and I wanted one. Windows XP seemed to work better with newer systems. I don't even look back.

I do a lot of multimedia stuff, mostly with moving picutres. It needs the NTFS file format.

XP is a hog. But if you got the stuff, it is much nicer.

18. 2003/12/23
    oldcat

oldcat Inactive

"No, there's nothing there that I want. Maybe when SE won't work any more Linux will be ready for prime time. "

Tried that. When I finally had to give up on my Amiga, Windows wasn't ready for prime time either.

--Wonder how much it cost Gates to kill that one?
    OC

19. 2003/12/27
    Profgab101

Profgab101 Inactive

Hardware support removed

I have a nice uber $$$ Nikon legal size SCSI-II scanner that XP freaks out if it is attached. Likewise with my desktop 3 1/2" bay PCMCIA adaptor. Lastly there is my Agfa CL30 Digital Camera with Iomega Clik drive. . .

Yes, I have some newer hardware than I do use XP(pro) on, but some of the items they removed from XP were still needed. Not as bad as when they (M$) Broke Windows(Me) and sold it as an "Upgrade ".

20. 2003/12/30
    KevinSaul

KevinSaul Inactive

I've been putting off the upgrade until after the hollidays so I can get both the upgrade and a larger HDD, although I may get a whole new system since I'm running an AMD 650.

My biggest decision is wether to go XP Home or Pro. The only advantage of pro that I've seen is networking and since I don't run a real network at home I don't see any advantage in my case to spend the extra money for Pro.

If I'm missing something please let me know.

21. 2003/12/30
    irdreed

irdreed Inactive

KevinSaul
    Don't know if you saw this or not so, maybe this will help:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.