1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

max limits for OE emails and IE fav's ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by keywester, 2003/01/25.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/01/25
    keywester

keywester Inactive Thread Starter

Looking ahead, hoping to avoid potential problems, I am wondering if there exists maximum limits for the number of "items" for the following components.

Outlook Express -- emails retained.

Internet Explorer -- favorites.

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer -- number of pictures...

Seems like there was something else, but it escapes me at the moment. Anyone know?

Last edited: 2003/01/26
  2. 2003/01/25
    JohnB Lifetime Subscription

JohnB Well-Known Member

As far as I know (?) you are only limited to the amount of storage available on your hard drive.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/01/26
    keywester

Thanks John.

There was something else: the number of pictures in "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer "...?

5. 2003/01/26
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

keywester--Just to add to what JohnB said, for emails the only limit would be if you kept the emails on your email service's server. See OE Tools|Accounts|highlight your account|Properties|Advanced tab. Make sure "Leave a copy on Server" is unchecked or that you have a rather few days required for the server to keep the messages.

6. 2003/01/27
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Actually, there is a limit to the number of favorites you can have unless you use many folders. Believe the number is around 270.

7. 2003/01/27
    keywester

hmmm; last I recall, a backup of my favorites produced a count in excess of 3,000 (that is not a typo, >3K...), but they are distributed amongst over 50 folders, and I am sure that I have not exceeded the "270" for one folder...

Last edited: 2003/01/27
  8. 2003/01/27
    Panda Lifetime Subscription

Panda Inactive

I'm not positive, but I'm thinking I heard or read somewhere that there are limits on how much you can have on in OE, depending on what ISP or server you use. I do know that I can't send out more than 20 messages at a time with my cable server (spam control). You just have to check with them for storage allowances.

:)

9. 2003/01/27
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

No Steve and Key

Have 326 in the root Favorites folder plus 50 other catagory folders.

That kills the 270 theory. I have never heard of a limit.

Mike

10. 2003/01/27

Panda Inactive

Just found this Link that says something about size limit for Favorites. Wonder if it's wrong since keywester has more than this site says in his.

Interesting.

11. 2003/01/27
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Panda They are speaking of the length of a single link. Not the number of links.

Mike

12. 2003/01/27

Panda Inactive

OH WOW! I thought it sounded strange. It's even stranger to imagine a link with that many characters! It boggles the mind.

Thanks for clarifying.

13. 2003/01/28
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

At least I'm not completely crazy. Found this for IE 5 & 5.01 . Looks like the magic number "was" to be 193.

SYMPTOMS
    When you try to sort your favorites in alphabetical order, some of the favorites may not appear in order.

CAUSE
    This issue can occur if you have more that 193 favorites listed on the Favorites menu.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, move the favorites into subfolders, or delete any unused favorites until you have less than 193.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259735

14. 2003/01/28
    keywester

Well, out of curiosity, I just "eyeballed" my fav's, and I was in the ballpark -- actually my recollected number was a little under, as I appear to have closer to 4,000 favorites. But again, they are scattered amongst well over 50 folders...and none of the folders appeared to have much more than about one hundred links...

I know what your thinkin: "Jeez, does this guy need to 'get a life' or what... "... Well, I do a lot of surfin, a lot of online research, and I get tired of sorting through the output of a search engine whenever I want to find a site, so I do keep a lot of links in fav's...

Anyway, there hopefully and likely is not a limit on fav's, so I'll just keep backin em up, and if I ever do hit the wall on the max, I'll let you all know... My biggest concern is any possible max on OE, as I do not back that up, altho I know there are util's to do so...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.