1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Write Protected Disk!

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Evan Omo, 2007/04/18.

1. 2007/04/18
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I have a problem that I am totally baffled about. A thread that I made earlier describing more about my problem is located here. http://windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=63926

Anyway I have tried averything that I can think of to resolve this problem thats located in the thread above and I haven't had success. :( To see if I can fix the issue I proceeded to run chkdsk /r from the Windows CD. I booted from the CD and opened command prompt and entered chkdsk /r. I then get an error message that says windows cannot check the disk because it is write protected. :mad: If I can run chkdsk /r in the command prompt then the Windows CD will probably replace the files thats causing my first problem. :) So is there anyway to make the disk un-write protected? :confused: I have tried various settings in the BIOS to see if they will make the disk writeable but have been unsuccessful. :rolleyes: I don't what else to do. If somone could tell me how I could run chkdsk /r from the Windows CD and not get that error message that would be great. :) BTW I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit edition.

2. 2007/04/18
    Dytrog

Dytrog Inactive

can you SFC /SCANNOW with Vista. it did it with xp cd. maybe someone else knows if this will help or not

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/04/18
    Evan Omo

Thanks for your reply. I have already tried SFC /scannow. I let it run and when it finished it didn't find any bad system files. Are there any other commands that I can run from command prompt besides chkdsk and sfc /scannow? :confused:

5. 2007/04/19
    Evan Omo

Could somone please tell me how I could run chkdsk /r from the Windows Vista CD. I have tried running it from the CD and I keep getting an error that says Windows can't check the disk because it is write protected. I would appreciate some help on how to successfully run chkdsk /r from the Windows CD. :)

6. 2007/04/19
    Dytrog

Dytrog Inactive

only thing i found so far is you have to download windows genuine validation

Last edited: 2007/04/19
  7. 2007/04/19
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

???

Why from the CD?

chkdsk /r is normally run from the command prompt.

When booted from the recovery console, you'll have to log onto the windows install you are attempting to repair.

Arie,
  8. 2007/04/19
    Evan Omo

Hi Arie thanks for your reply. I am wondering does Windows Vista have a recovery Console or just a command prompt? I say this because I know Windows XP had a recovery console where you could boot from the Windows XP disk and then run Recovery Console. I would run chkdsk /r and it would replace any bad files it found. Does Windows Vista behave the same way or could I just log onto the computer and end up running chkdsk /r in Windows Vista's command Prompt? Thanks for your repsonse. I am still getting used to Windows Vista and I am not 100% sure how Windows Vista works yet. :rolleyes:

Last edited: 2007/04/19
  9. 2007/04/21
    Evan Omo

Hi everyone. I ended up getting my issue resolved by donig a repiar install with the Windows Vista disk. After that I reinstalled all the Windows Vista Updates and my graphics driver from ATI. All is now well and I don't get any more errors when I try to start Event Viewer. :) Thanks for all your help and support you guys. I will try and see if I can get some of my friends to join this forum as its one of the best ones I've been to yet. :D

10. 2007/04/21
    Arie

Sorry I didn't reply to your last question before, I'm currently traveling.

I think that Vista has a Recovery Console, but without my Vista DVD with me I can't check.

I know Vista has the option to do some repair actions from a repair menu on the setup DVD.

Arie,
  11. 2007/04/22
    Evan Omo

Hello again Arie. Thanks for replying to me. :) I know that Windows Vista has a lot of different repair options that you can run if you boot from the Windows Vista DVD but I have no idea if Windows Vista has a recovery Console. When I booted from the DVD there is no Recovery Console option in the DVD only a command prompt. :p So my guess would be that Windows Vista either doesn't have a Recovery Console or its hidden in the operating System and you have to activate it somehow. Thats my guess anyway. :rolleyes: Let me know if you come across any new information about whether Windows Vista has a Recovery Console or not. :) Thanks again for your help. :D

12. 2007/04/22
    Arie

I've checked: no, Vista doesn't have a recovery console option like XP did... It just has the 'repair' option available, which allow you access to the command prompt, system restore, memory diagnostics and access to the complete pc backup option.

So you'd choose the command prompt, and run the chkdsk command.

13. 2007/04/22
    Evan Omo

Thanks Arie. Thats what I thought about Windows Vista not having a Recovery Console. Anyway we can probably close this thread as I have gotten my issue resolved with Event Viewer not opening by doing an in-place upgrade over the existing Windows Vista installation. Everything is now fine and I am still learning all of the cool features Windows Vista has. :rolleyes: Thanks again for your time to help me out. Its greatly appreciated. :D