1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[$NTUninstall] what are these files?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by powrtoch, 2005/07/03.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/07/03
    powrtoch

powrtoch Inactive Thread Starter

Hi everyone
    can anyone tell me what these files are?

$NTUninstall.....

These files (56 of them) reside in my windows folder (XP Home) using up hundreds of Mb on my hard disk. I suspect they have something to do with service packs because I noticed them after installing service pack 2. Can I safely delete these files or is that likely to cause problems? This is my first visit to this site, and although I did perouse the FAQ's I couldn't see that this question has been asked. I apologise if it's there. Thanks in advance for the help.

P :)

2. 2005/07/03
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Archived: uninstall data needed to remove/uninstall ms updates. You'll need them should you decide to remove any of the updates via your add/remove programs icon in control (some have found this necessary when trying to track a problem down.). Usual advice is to burn them to cd and deleted them from the harddrive. Then, if they are required later down the road, they can copied back in.

This topic may be explained better if pulled from this boards "past posts" using the "search" feature (located at the top of the forum). I just sort of gave you the readers digest condensed version.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/07/03
    powrtoch

powrtoch Inactive Thread Starter

what are these files?

Thanks goddez1, I've searched Microsoft Kb for an answer and can't get anything specific. According to MS, removing the files in the wrong order may cause the system to stop functioning - which is somewhat disconcerting. I'll try your suggestion and see what happens. Fingers X'd.

P :)

5. 2005/07/03
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

I was not suggesting that you actually uninstall these. Just copy them, burn them and delete. If uncomfortable, grab em all and put them in a folder and move the folder to another place for safe keeping. If any problems arise you can put them back, but I don't expect any.

Also when I was suggesting a search. I meant search this boards (windowsbbs.com) archives of past posts:

search

6. 2005/07/04
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.