1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Xp Start up problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by browner, 2005/04/29.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/04/29
    browner

browner Inactive Thread Starter

When I boot up my pc I have problem that it starts a windows install program for PhotoGallery! I have never tried to install this program.(Could it have been attached to another program). If I go into services and disable the windows installer the problem stops but then for obvious reasons i can`t install anything else. I scanned for virus`s and spyware but the problem still persists! any help would appreciated.

Many thanks

Last edited: 2005/04/29
  2. 2005/04/29
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Run MSCONFIG and take a look in the Startup tab for PhotoGallery. Uncheck if found.

If not found, download and run DoRunList which is a batch file. It will create a file named startups.txt and place it on your Desktop. Copy/Paste the contents of that file back here in a post.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/04/30
    browner

Have carried out instructions. No sign of PhotoGallery in the startup menu. Ran DoRunList. Info as follows

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "Norton Ghost 9.0 "= "\ "C:\\Program Files\\Symantec\\Norton Ghost\\Agent\\GhostTray.exe\" "
    "STOPzilla "= "C:\\Program Files\\STOPzilla!\\Stopzilla.exe /autostart "
    "NvCplDaemon "= "RUNDLL32.EXE C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup "
    "MCUpdateExe "= "C:\\PROGRA~1\\mcafee.com\\agent\\McUpdate.exe "
    "MCAgentExe "= "\ "c:\\PROGRA~1\\mcafee.com\\agent\\mcagent.exe\" "
    "VirusScan Online "= "\ "c:\\PROGRA~1\\mcafee.com\\vso\\mcvsshld.exe\" "
    "NeroFilterCheck "= "\ "C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\NeroCheck.exe\" "
    "msnappau "= "\ "C:\\Program Files\\MSN Apps\\Updater\\01.02.3000.1001\\en-gb\\msnappau.exe\" "
    "HP Software Update "= "\ "C:\\Program Files\\HP\\HP Software Update\\HPWuSchd2.exe\" "
    "gcasServ "= "\ "C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft AntiSpyware\\gcasServ.exe\" "
    "Ulead AutoDetector v2 "= "\ "C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Ulead Systems\\AutoDetector\\monitor.exe\" "
    "nwiz "= "\ "nwiz.exe \" /install "
    "NvMediaCenter "=" "
    "MPFExe "= "\ "C:\\PROGRA~1\\McAfee.com\\PERSON~1\\MpfTray.exe\" "
    "SunJavaUpdateSched "= "\ "C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.5.0_02\\bin\\jusched.exe\" "
    "VSOCheckTask "= "\ "c:\\PROGRA~1\\mcafee.com\\vso\\mcmnhdlr.exe\" /checktask "
    "CoolSwitch "= "C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\taskswitch.exe "

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "CTFMON.EXE "= "C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ctfmon.exe "
    "IDMan "= "C:\\Program Files\\Internet Download Manager\\idman.exe /onboot "
    "MemOptimizer "= "\ "C:\\Program Files\\TuneUp Utilities 2004\\MemOptimizer.exe\" "

Many Thanks for the assistance!

Gary

5. 2005/04/30
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Since nothing jumps right out and says it's Photo Gallery, I'd be inclined to think it may be a component of some other program that is trying to update itself.

A prime suspect would be the HP software that is listed. The full HP printer package often comes with some sort of graphics software. Try unchecking that in the msconfig Startup tab and reboot for effect.

It may be one of the other auto updates that are listed so disable those and test.

If still no joy, how about letting it complete the install if it will, then see if you notice any new software listed in Add/Remove programs.

You could also run a drive search for the word photogallery or photo gallery as opposed to the file name and see what it digs up. That will take several minutes.

You could run HiJackThis and post the results for some of the resident experts here to review. Even though you run AV and all, something might have slipped through. Browser hijackers are notorious for that.

I notice you have several things starting up that generally won't be used in every session so you may want to disable some of them at your discretion.

I assume you tried System Restore??

Lastly, if you boot to Safe Mode, is the problem still there?

That's all I can think of until we get more clues.

6. 2005/04/30
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

These are just maybe some ideas of mine that do not fit. But are thouhgts that I have. ( alias: some of my wild ideas )

I would bet that this
    When I boot up my pc I have problem that it starts a windows install program for PhotoGallery!

Goes with this.
    "HP Software Update "= "\ "C:\\Program Files\\HP\\HP Software Update\\HPWuSchd2.exe\ "

And I wonder why so many updates ( marked in bold ) are being loaded at startup. If you do not have a cable or DSL connection they are not going to be any good anyway. And usually there is no need to run then everyday anyway. And even wtih a Cable connections they could well interfere with each other.

The only update I allow to run at start up is my AVG Anti Virus.

Overall I have found that on both 98 and XP THE LESS that is loaded at bootup the better overall.

BillyBob

7. 2005/05/01
    browner

Cheers everyone! Does appear to be something to do with HP Software so have uninstalled it for the time beig just to make sure!. Will look into disabling some of the the other updaters aswell.

Thanks once again!

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.