1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Display Favicons in Internet Explorer 6?

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by bumpaw, 2005/03/15.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/03/15
    bumpaw

bumpaw Inactive Thread Starter

Firefox and Opera show favicons in Bookmarks. Is there no simple way to get them in Internet Explorer. When I say simple I mean an options setting in either IE or Windows. :)

2. 2005/03/15
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

bumpaw--Favicons may or may not be downloaded from a site when you save the site as a Favorite. (Not all sites have favicons. If you do not automatically get one, you can try accessing www.nameofsite.com/favicon.ico, but no guarantees.)
    Unfortunately, in IE, favicons are stored in Temporary Internet File/Content.IE5/one of those alphanumeric folders, so every time you clean your cache (TIF), you will delete the favicons. So you have to permanently associate the favicons with the Favorite. You do that by moving the favicon into a new folder (I call mine Favicons), give it a name that you can remember (favicons in TIF often are only called "favicon[*].ico" where * stands for a number), then right click the Favorite, Properties, Change Icon, enter the location--C:\Favicons\--and name of the favicon, OK, OK, Apply,OK.
    Now when you clean your cache, the favicon should remain to the left of the Favorite in either Favorites list as well as identify the individual Favorite in the Favorite folder.
    If you do not get a favicon when save a Favorite, you of course can associate any .ico image you want with the Favorite using the above method.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/03/15
    bumpaw

jim--Yep I had already found the info you provided. I was hoping for something simple like Firefox. I design websites and can't get to excited about providing favicons if IE has such bum support for them. I can't believe many users will go to that trouble to see little icons in their Favorites. ;)

5. 2005/03/15
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

FavOrg makes it easy to keep/assign favicons. Works well with XP and IE6 too.

6. 2005/03/16
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Yes, FavOrg works fine, but it is not free.

7. 2005/03/16
    bumpaw

Hopefully in IE 7 they will catch up with the other browsers on this issue. I'm betting 99% of IE users won't mess with even a simple thing like FavOrg and will just see the little IE favicon.

8. 2005/04/08
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Hi Jim,

Where can a person find an .ico image?.........Is it possible to make one?

9. 2005/04/08
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

James Martin--There are websites that offer icon images.
    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-31,GGLD:en&q=icon+images
    And you can make almost any common image file (.jpg, .gif, .bmp, etc.) into an .ico file by using a program that will perform the conversion. Irfanview is one such program.
    www.irfanview.com
    You will find it to be a very useful and flexible graphics editor in general.
    P.S. You may also have to resize the .ico file depending on what you want to use it for. Irfanview can do that, too.

10. 2005/04/08
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Thanks Jim,

I downloaded the program, and I'll take a look at it later on.

11. 2005/05/17
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Follow up,

I managed to make my own icon(s) and let FavOrg store it for me.

Thanks.

12. 2005/05/18
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

James Martin--Thanks for posting back with the good news. You are welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.