1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

multiple drive issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Barry, 2005/01/05.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/01/05
    Barry

Barry Geek Member Thread Starter

I have a couple of questions that relate to multiple drives, but aren't related.
    1st: I used to be able to choose which drive I wanted to use at startup. After reinstalling Windows XP on one of the drives, I no longer have that access. I am using 2 Western Digital HDs. I've tried different jumper combinations with no luck. I'm sure it is a simple solution that is right in front of my face, but I can't seem to see it.
    2nd: Copying one drive to the other still requires Microsoft activation of XP. Is is possible to make a ghost copy of the OS and then put it on a drive without having to activate with Microsoft. I've had so many OS corruptions and hard drive failures that Microsoft questions if I am putting the OS on many different computers. Is there a way around the activation issue? If so, step by step instructions would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Barry

2. 2005/01/06
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Do you have more than one Operating system installed? If so, which ones and what drives are they on?

If you have two XP's installed, do you have two product keys?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/01/06
    Barry

I have two XPs with one product key on one computer.

5. 2005/01/06
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello Barry,

Use the Recovery Console. Booting with the XP disc, you will be presented with a menu of tasks, choose the RC, which in turn will have menus of tasks, one of which is to find all the OS installations on the system and create the boot menu accordingly.

The RC procedure - type help and all the available commands display. The one you would want is Bootcfg: Automatically scans all local disks for Windows installations and configures and repairs entries in the OS system menu (Boot.ini). You'll end up with a Dual Boot menu. The installation found after the one on C will be the default with a 30 second countdown.

Is there a way around the activation issue?

No, you will have to talk to MS and explain the problem if the activation throws up a flag.

Regards - Charles

Last edited: 2005/01/06
  6. 2005/01/07
    Barry

Charles,
    I typed in bootcfg as you said, but my computer still just comes up to the drive that I've wired primary or I can change by changing the boot drive in bios. I no longer have the screen on startup that gives me a choice. Is there another way to accomplish this?
    Barry
    ps I'm wondering if this is a jumper issue. What if I jumpered both drives to cable select (1-2) or both unjumpered at all, so that each is seen as a single drive?

Last edited: 2005/01/07
  7. 2005/01/07
    charlesvar

Lets back up here:

I used to be able to choose which drive I wanted to use at startup. After reinstalling Windows XP on one of the drives, I no longer have that access.

On which drive did you install XP on? If it was C, the dual boot boot.ini was re-written for C only. When Bootcfg did a scan for Windows installations, what did you get? Did it say it found an additional installation and ask if you wanted to add it? If you boot with the XP cd, does it recognize both installations by asking which one to boot into? Go into msconfig > boot.ini tab. It'll show you what the boot.ini looks like - always on C. If you want to print it, open boot.ini, opens with notepad. Show hidden system files option has to be in folder options > view tab.

Mine:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS= "XP on D" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS= "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

What does Device Manager show in the C installation? Or My Computer? Is the other drive there?

If all the answers are negative, then yes, you have problem with the way the drives are set up. As for jumpering, the Computer that I know of that has cable select is Dell. On others, the first device on a IDE cable is the master, the second the slave.

Regards - Charles

Last edited: 2005/01/07
  8. 2005/01/08
    Barry

OK Charles, I think I finally got the hang of this bootcfg. It is just confusing to me, since my partitions change letters all the time. On one drive I have c-d-e for that drive and h-i for the other drive. When I reverse, I have c-g for that drive and f-h-i for the other. For bootcfg, I was given the option of e and d. I finally got it in, but need some advice on how to fix the errors. When I tried bootcfg /add, which allows me to add the new drive and set up what I want, I didn't realize that I was to name the drive when it asked for a load identifier, so it just came up with " ". I redid it and put in MS WinXP Home Ed and now have 3 listings when I start up. How do I remove the " ", and how can I rename the listings so they're identified with a specific drive?
    Thanks for the help,
    Barry

9. 2005/01/08
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

Have a look at your boot.ini file. You can do it in msconfig or open the file itself in notepad. It'll be located in the root of your c: drive. Take a look at this line from charlesvar's boot.ini.

Code:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS= "XP on D" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    All you have to do is change the part between the quotes. Change it to whatever you like and that's what'll show up on the boot menu. You more than likely have one line that has just the two quote marks and nothing between. If you want to get rid of it, delete that particular line. Should do the trick.

10. 2005/01/08
    charlesvar

Hi Barry,

Ditto on Zander's advice.

Another action to do to keep drives straight:

Bring up the drive > right click > properties > on the General tab, first item: name the drive. That way no matter if the lettering changes, that name is constant.

Regards - Charles

11. 2005/01/08
    Barry

I went to boot.ini and only one boot was listed. When I clicked check all boot paths, I was told that this line doesn't refer to a valid operating system and wants to know if I want to remove it.

12. 2005/01/08
    charlesvar

Barry,

Paste the boot.ini into your post.

Regards - Charles

13. 2005/01/08
    Barry

I can only see it running msconfig, and that won't let me copy anything. I tried search, even allowing hidden file search, but nothing came up.

14. 2005/01/08
    Zander

Do you have XP set to show all files? The search tool in XP isn't the greatest and it's quite possible it's not finding it even though it's there. Open windows explorer and click tools>folder options>view. Tick the line that says "show hidden files and folders ". Then look in the root of your c: drive and see if it's there.

15. 2005/01/08
    Barry

OK, I found it, but it won't let me save the changes. Here is the original:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS= "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS=" " /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS= "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
    When I try to save, it tells me that it "cannot create the F:\boot.ini file. Make sure the path and file name are correct. "

16. 2005/01/08
    Barry

It doesn't show up with explore on that partition, even with the hidden files allowed. I can only open it by bringing up notepad then open.

17. 2005/01/08
    charlesvar

Ok, do this way:

Thru the Control Panel > System > Advanced tab > click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery, and click the Edit button in the System Startup section.

Regards - Charles

18. 2005/01/08
    Barry

That worked. Thanks Charles,
    Barry

19. 2005/01/08
    charlesvar

Ok great.

One more thing.

On your second installation, represented by the first boot.ini entry, in WINDOWS/pss folder is the backup boot.ini file called boot.ini.backup.

If you ever s c r e w up or lose the one on C, go thru the editing procedure I took you thru and paste the backup version. Make sure the one on C works the way you want and then reboot. I think the backup version will look like the one on C. But if not, copy/paste.

Regards - Charles

20. 2005/01/08
    Zander

I wonder if your problem of not being able to save changes to the boot.ini might be due to the fact that you're drive letters change when you boot to a different drive. I wonder what the result would be if you booted to the other drive and tried it. No matter I guess but I was curious. That's an odd configuation you have there as far as drive letters changing like that. Not normal unless you're hiding partitions and it doesn't appear you are. Have you manually changed the letters of each drive from within each OS? As I said, just curious.

21. 2005/01/08
    Zander

I thought I'd add this. The reason I'm wondering about this is because from the error message you got when you tried to save the file it would appear that the boot.ini is on the F: drive. Should be on c:. Does this f: drive become c: when you boot to the other OS?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.