1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

AWS Weatherbug is NOT Spyware (?)

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by Johanna, 2004/05/12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/05/12
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni Thread Starter

From PC Pitstop:
    Weather.exe
    File Information
    The following information was collected about this file during testing.

Full Path C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe
    Vendor AWS Convergence Technologies, Inc.
    Product AWS, Inc.WeatherBug
    Version 5, 0, 0, 5
    File Size 827392 bytes

Our running programs database has the following information about the most likely source and function of this program. More than one possible match was found; all matches are listed below with the most likely match shown first.

Match #0
    Description
    WeatherBug
    Recommendation
    Not an essential component, but see the information below before disabling it.

More Information
    Displays the weather forecast. Although it shows some advertising it does not appear to be spyware.

Note: There are two weather forecasting programs with the name WEATHER.EXE. One is from AWS, and the other is from WhenU. The file information above can help you confirm which version you have.

Match #1
    Description
    WhenU Weather
    Recommendation
    Disable in most cases. Known to cause resource or system stability issues.

More Information
    WhenU has made spyware programs in the past. The privacy policy for this program does not appear to make it spyware, but given the company's history it is probably better to get your weather forecasts elsewhere.

Note: There are two weather forecasting programs with the name WEATHER.EXE. One is from AWS, and the other is from WhenU. The file information above can help you confirm which version you have.

Other Resources
    Google search for Weather.exe
    Google search for WeatherBug
    I'm ambivalent about WeatherBug because it was known as "spyware" (collecting anonymous statistical data), but it is also a functional weather station run out of our local school by the seniors who get a little "funding" from AWS for a credible lesson plan and supplies. The kids actually do more than empty the rain gauge and chart it- and AWS pays for it. I was impressed at the computer equipment and software AWS makes available to the weather stations at the school.

Spyware phoning home- bad. State of the art weather observation and reporting by neighborhood teenagers who are actually learning something without additional expense to me-good. PC Pitstop does not call AWS Weatherbug "spyware" anymore!! Whew!

WeatherBug

Johanna

2. 2004/05/12
    Newt

Newt Inactive

You know, I think AWS Weatherbug really needs to be placed at the top of a different category than spyware/malware.

Annoying-but-useful-ware

Newt,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/05/12
    Lonny Jones

Lonny Jones Inactive Alumni

Still I see recommenation that you uninstall Weatherbug, unless you are using the paid version. The free version is adware but does not contain any spyware. Tropic Designs WeathPulse is freeware with no ads and is available here: http://www.tropicdesigns.net/weatherpulse.html

Regards

5. 2004/05/12
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni Thread Starter

Newt
    Annoying-but-useful-ware
    LOL :D :D

I don't have the paid version, but I don't see the ads. (Thank you, Norton & AdSubtractPro!!) I DO see alot of internet activity, but it's got to check in for updates periodically to work right, and it's got to listen, if new info comes in. I appreciate the chirping sound to tell me that Indiana is sending a blizzard or tornado or thunderstorm my way. (Indiana is merciless on my part of the world.) WBug doesn't hog resources or interfere with any other activity. and it is convenient. And I like the part where teenagers are doing and learning something CONSTRUCTIVE, without me having to pay for it...

It's 75 in your city now, 82, here, Newt. Looks like we both could get some thunderstorms this afternoon.
    Johanna

6. 2004/05/12
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Still blaming everything on Indiana. Didn't Zander tell you it all comes from North Dakota? I suppose that Annoying-but-useful-ware (love it Newt!) says it's coming from here. Instigator!

Nice to here that AWS is doing good things with our schools though. And thanks for the info pointing out the two different apps. ;)

May the sun shine brightly on Ohio.....AFTER the mud bog created by the ND thunderstorms you so freely and readily blame on the Hoosier state has attached itself to your childrens feet on their way IN. :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.